17/07/2012

let go...

Another wedding weekend bites the dust.  We photographed three gorgeous couples this past week.  All wonderfully warm, funny, genuine people.. such happy, relaxed in love boys and girls.  That's when I really love this job.. when the stiffness, the tension, the regiment is replaced with laughter, eyes filled with twinkles, connections, lots of fun but most of all.. when couples let go.

The best weddings for me by far are when couples let go.  They've spent months and months planning every last detail, what goes where, what happens when, when this is going to happen, what they're going to wear, what they're going to say.. a never ending spreadsheet of timings and instructions for the day to be perfect. It has to be perfect. The week before the wedding there seems to be a million and one jobs to do.. everyone wants to lend a hand, everyone has an opinion.. you have no idea if it's all going to work..

..but it will work.  And on the day you guys are no longer the wedding planners.  You're no longer the Event organiser.  You're the gig goer.. the participant.. the guest.  For this day to truly be perfect.. you have to enjoy it which means letting go.

When a Bride and Groom let go.. everyone else let's go too.  I hear laughter, I see smiles, I see emotion.. words may be fumbled over in the ceremony but with it brings laughter, tension disappears.. allowing us to feel more..

When a Bride and Groom let go.. they'll really hug their guests, they'll really hug each other, she'll not worry about the bottom of her dress, they'll throw some crazy shapes on the dance floor, they'll have guests who don't know each other making friends, they won't worry about the speeches, they won't worry about their hair, they won't worry about the weather...... they won't worry about anything.

When a Bride and Groom let go they see everything.  They see smiley faces as they walk down the aisle.. they see the person they're about to marry, they see the importance of saying their vows in front of everyone they love, they see all their friends and family having fun, they see how much love everyone has for them, they see how perfect their day is.

Allow yourselves to let go and your day will be perfect.  Promise.

Had to illustrate this post with a sneak from my dear friend Jemima's wedding to her gorgeous soul mate Phil. I blubbed like a total baby as she walked down the aisle.. 

24 comments:

  1. Oh I couldn't agree more and I love this preview. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, and so well put Emma. I love how you write & I love brides who don't worry about the bottom of their dress ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful words Emma, I couldn't agree more, from both sides of the camera x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very true. Although snow, remember the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such brilliant advice, I couldn't agree more. Just relax and enjoy it all, let go and all will be well.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so with you on this - 100%! I quite often suggest that (if possible) couples take a day or two off before the wedding so they can start to unwind and begin to relax after all the buildup. I know it's something I really wish I had done before my own wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN TO THAT, SISTER! (sorry for the shouting, just letting go. x)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, totally! Well said Emma and gorgeous photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post and so so so very true. Especially if they have a planner there the week before and on the day they have no excuse not to 'let go'. Love it x

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful post Emma! so so true! and what a gorgeous picture too xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are absolutely bang on there. Never a truer word spoken.

    My hubby and I got married 7 years ago and had a (small) set budget. I made all the place settings myself (lyrics of all my favourite songs EVER; different lyrics for different folk). I made all the favours.

    The day itself started with worry, then absolute hilarity (one of our Daimlers practically ran out of petrol); hearing my Dad moaning on (in that way only he can moan) about the stink of petrol in the car was so funny. Being chased by Canadian Geese was certainly a highlight.

    Being walked down the isle by my Dad whilst 'Songbird' by Fleetwood Mac was playing is still one of the most magical moments in my life. Hearing my Sister (who incidentally, is my bestest friend' read out 'I Will Be Here' reduced my to incredibly happy tears. And all this before the hubby and I had even done the deed. Walking back down the isle to 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' by The Darkness wowed all our guests and when I lifted my dress to show them my gartered thigh and my choice of wedding footwear (my cherry red Doctor Marten's with red ribbon for laces), well, the smiles on everyone's faces was priceless.

    There was nothing for us to worry about. Everything was coordinated impeccably which left us to thoroughly enjoy OUR day (resulting in drunkness and hangover's in the morning!). I didn't matter that I looked like Robert Smith of The Cure the morning after the night before (false nails, contact lenses and bobby pins DO NOT get on well with each other); what mattered was the fact that it was just the best time ever. And now we have our beautiful 2 year old girl, life couldn't be more perfect.

    I'm a huge fan of you and your photography. So sorry I've posted 'War and Peace' here, but I wholeheartedly agree with you. I just wish I would have known you and had you as our photographer all those years ago.

    Keep it up Emma. You are a STAR!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Definately going to spread the word. You put it so elequently.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post, Emma. I have to say that you do help the families you photograph feel totally at ease and have fun having their pictures taken.

    (ps. the bride did give VERY specific instructions to her mother about getting the bottom of the dress dry-cleaned! ;o))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will send this to all my wedding customers from now on, and demand they read it and practice it for their wedding day!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your metaphor of being a gig goer and a guest at your own wedding is perfect! I felt just like that and remember looking around in awe, soaking it all up, loving being surrounded by a sea of smiling faces ~ the faces of all my favourite people in the world. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Every word so absolutely perfect and so very true....
    xXx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I hope I can remember this for my wedding next year (and cut my budget elsewhere so Emma can do the photos!)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emma - This is so true. I had a very stressful time in the few weeks before my wedding as we had a death in the family. A lot of things got left to the last minute or we simply did not have time to do but after my aunts funeral last Tuesday, I had 3 days before I got married to finalise everything and we let ourselves go on the day - Just last saturday! so what if one or two things were not quite as we planned! everyone had fun and we got some amazing photos from our photographer and I wish I could do it all over again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. yes, yes, yes. every couple needs to hear this leading up the their wedding. thanks for putting it so eloquently..

    ReplyDelete
  20. matt parry photography19 July 2012 at 09:29

    I crave the moment the bride looks down at some dirt on the bottom of her dress and says "F*ck it..never gonna wear it again" because thats the 'let go moment'

    ReplyDelete
  21. Totes. Couldn't have said it better, Em. We let go and we had an AMAZE day. In fact, I let go rather a lot before the wedding and frankly decided I couldn't be bothered to go into the nitty gritty details of flowers and deceptions and all of those small things that we feel doesn't matter. I'm so glad we just went with wild flowers from my parent's garden, and jugs from their shelves... with a few beaut roses in between - and a few home made beaut cakes from my cousin... you get the idea - it was just perfect! because after all, it was me and my boy, my perfect, wonderful friend and lover and our wonderful families and friends - that's what counts. AND my dress got dirty, AND i didn't care, AND i'm selling it! Love the photos Em, and I wouldn't have had anyone else there to capture our day. Loves. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Meant decorations, not deceptions! Oh well... just had a killer vodka martini on our honeymoon! HOORAH! xxx

    ReplyDelete